This is a popular salad which might be just the thing you need to liven up your meals. Skip the green leaves and go for a more substantial offering in this quinoa, sweetcorn, and delicious avocado salad.
Peruvian avocado and quinoa salad
- 55 g raw quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120 g sweetcorn
- 65 g cherry tomatoes chopped
- Juice and grated zest of 1 fresh lime
- 1 leaves small bunch coriander roughly chopped
- 1 & 1/2 medium onions finely sliced
- 1/2 medium-large red chilli chopped finely. Remember to remove the seeds to reduce hotness.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 25 g nuts: brazils almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts
- Boil a small pan full of water. Rinse the raw quinoa and add to the boiling water. Stir regularly and simmer on low heat for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the sweetcorn into a dry frying pan (no oil) and place on a medium to high heat. Cook for 5 minutes and turn occasionally until the sweetcorn is toasted.
- Wash the cooked quinoa using a sieve in cold water, then mash with a ladle or serving spoon, removing the moisture.
- Put the quinoa in a large bowl and mix with olive oil, coriander, sweetcorn, tomatoes, onions, lime zest and red chilli pepper. Season with pepper.
- Remove the avocado's flesh with a large spoon and cut into thin slices. Toss with the fresh lime juice. Add the avocado and nuts to the salad and mix gently together before serving.