There’s nothing like a hot chocolate drink on a winter’s day to warm the soul. Peruvian chocolate is some of the best in the world (we’re a bit biased) so make sure to get some high-quality chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa. This will help add real depth to the drink.
The recipe is so flavorful that you shouldn’t need a lot of sugar to make it taste great.
We’ve added some instant coffee (you could use premium ground Peruvian coffee for the best experience) to the recipe to give it that little kick. This is optional but it makes the hot chocolate recipe a real pick-me-up. Of course, it can also be enjoyed in the summer. There are no rules.
Serve in a large cup and enjoy the aroma of orange, anise, cloves, cinnamon, and of course, Peruvian chocolate.
Peruvian Creamy & Spicy Hot Chocolate
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 piece orange peel dried, about an inch long
- 1 Star anise
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups prepared whole milk 240 ml
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons Peruvian bitter cocoa
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- sugar to taste
- Gather ingredients
- Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat, add half a cup of water and immediately add the spices. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and star anise.
- Cook the spice infusion half covered over low heat for at least 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, remove from the heat, and strain the spices. Discard the spices and preserve the infusion.
- Return the infusion to the pot, and dissolve the dark chocolate and instant coffee in it, whisking with a hand mixer.
- Then add the whole milk and the evaporated milk. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed.
- Add the pinch of nutmeg and continue beating without letting the mixture boil.
- Dissolve the tablespoon of cornstarch in three tablespoons of water. Add the diluted cornstarch to the chocolate and continue beating in circles until the chocolate is thick.
- If you want you can add a more teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Cook for three more minutes, add sugar to taste, and serve hot in large cups.
- If you like chocolate with a lot of foam, blend it before serving.
- Decorate with whipped cream, marshmallows, or cinnamon powder.