A citrus-infused raw seafood dish popularised in Peru but found in many coastal areas of Latin America. Ají or chili peppers are added to boost flavor. White fish such as Sea Bass, Tilapia, and Halibut are the best fish for ceviche but other types can be considered. Check out our Tilapia Ceviche recipe for an alternative. This is one of Peru’s signature dishes and a must try for anyone interested in the local cuisine. Try Ceviche in Lima for a taste explosion. Here’s our version of the best ceviche recipe.
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 250 g skinless and boneless sea bass or sea bream fillets White fish is the best fish for Ceviche
- ½ tsp salt plus extra to season
- 4 juice of Limes
- ½ juice orange
- 1 red chilli shredded, or 1tsp aji amarillo paste
- Small bunch of coriander roughly chopped
- Put the chopped onion into iced water and soak for 5 minutes, then drain well.
- Cut the fish into 1½ - 2cm cubes and rub with the ½ tsp salt. Leave for a minute. Add the citrus juices and the chilli and leave to marinate for 10 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Divide the fish and marinade between 2 bowls, scatter with coriander, and serve immediately.