Tallarín Saltado is a Peruvian stir-fry dish that uses local South American ingredients combined with Asian influences. It’s a typical fusion food taking the best of Peruvian food and, in this case, Chinese food or Chifa. Tallarín (pronounced Tay-areen) saltado is one recipe that shows how the cultures that came together in Peru ingeniously mixed their cuisines to arrive at a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts. The Chinese exported noodles first to other Asian countries and then immigrants brought their signature ingredients to Peru. This is how Peruvian stir-fried noodles were created.
The Chinese cooks also brought soy sauce and flambéing techniques. The native Peruvians brought their incredible local ingredients like onions, tomatoes, peppers, to the table. Combined, these ingredients created this mouthwatering dish that is a favourite with almost everyone.
Let’s experience a delicious and super popular cultural mix in one dish. Some say Tallarín saltado is as popular as lomo saltado. Its popularity is helped by the ease of preparation. This dish is very easy to prepare and cook (especially with the help of this easy-to-follow recipe).
While a meal of Peruvian noodles is typically eaten on regular evenings or for lunch, it is a great dish for a special dinner party. Everyone will welcome a steaming plate of stir-fry chicken noodles.
Tallarin Saltado – Peruvian Stir-Fry Noodles with Chicken
- Sharp Knife
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- ½ lb Chicken Breast
- ½ Red Onion cut into slices, layers separated
- 1 Red Sweet Pepper cut lengthwise
- 4 Spring Onions
- 1 Tomato sliced, seeds removed
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 10.5 oz Spaghetti boiled, drained and washed with cold water
- Turn on medium-high heat. Place a pan or a wok and add oil.
- Once heated add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the red onion, and the spring onions (just the whites, cut lengthwise). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Season with black pepper and salt. Stir again and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Now add soy sauce and ginger. Stir and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add spring onions, the greens (chopped). Stir.
- Add the boiled spaghetti (noodles), stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy this wonderful Peruvian meal.